Public health officials advise one new death in a person with COVID-19 has been reported today:
• a male in his 70s from the Interlake-Eastern health region, linked to the B.1.1.7 variant of concern.
The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 12.1 per cent provincially and 13.7 per cent in Winnipeg. As of 9:30 a.m. today, 303 new cases of the virus have been identified. The total number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba to 51,090.
Due to technical issues, today’s count will be an undercount of the actual case numbers. Officials anticipate this will result in an over count tomorrow.
Today’s COVID-19 data shows:
• 12 cases in the Interlake–Eastern health region;
• 13 cases in the Northern health region.
• 15 cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region;
• 37 cases in the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region; and
• 226 cases in the Winnipeg health region.
The data also shows:
• 4,504 active cases and 45,533 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19;
• 236 people in hospital with active COVID-19 as well as 72 people in hospital with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require care, for a total of 308 hospitalizations;
• 48 people in intensive care units with active COVID-19 as well as 23 people with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require critical care, for a total of 71 ICU patients;
• 2,599 laboratory tests were completed yesterday, bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February 2020 to 770,070; and
• the total number of deaths in people with COVID-19 is 1,053.
Public health officials are reminding Manitobans that in most cases, they should only seek testing at a provincial test site if they are symptomatic or have been advised by public health that they are a close contact. This will help ensure those who need to be tested can continue to access testing as easily as possible. Manitobans have several options available to access testing, including drive-thru and walk-in sites, or by booking an appointment by calling 1-855-268-4318 or online at select sites at www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/testing/locations.html#appointment.
Additional data on variants of concern is updated from Tuesday to Saturday at https://geoportal.gov.mb.ca/. Data related to COVID-19, outbreaks and some downloadable and historic data can also be found at this site.
The outbreak has been declared over at Holy Cross School in Winnipeg.
Possible exposure locations are listed online by region at the province’s #RestartMB Pandemic Response System webpage. For up-to-date information on possible public exposures to COVID-19 in regions, visit www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/updates/flights.html#event and click on your region.
For up-to-date information on COVID-19 in Manitoba, including the online screening tool, testing criteria and locations, self-isolation requirements, public health fundamentals and the provincial response level on the #RestartMB Pandemic Response System, visit www.manitoba.ca/COVID19.