In August, Canada Border Services Agency, contacted The Pas RCMP, after intercepting a firearm silencer being smuggled into Canada.
The RCMP investigation led to two search warrants being executed on September 1 and 2, at a residence on Reader Street in The Pas.
The two searches resulted in the seizure of evidence to indicate that the manufacturing of firearms and silencers was being conducted. RCMP officers seized;
• Two handguns
• Two long guns
• Eight suppressors/silencers
• Two 3D Printers
• Parts intended for the manufacture of firearms
Patsy Shawaga, 49, of The Pas, has been arrested and charged with Firearms Manufacturing x 2, Unauthorized Importation of a Firearm Silencer, Possession of a loaded Restricted or Prohibited Firearm and Possession of a Firearm when Unauthorized.
A warrant has been issued for Trent Swanson, 49, of The Pas, in relation to this investigation. He is wanted on charges of;
• Firearms Manufacturing x2
• Manufacturing a Firearm silencer
• Unauthorized Importation of a Firearm Silencer
• Possession of a Firearm knowing its Possession is Unauthorized x2
• Unauthorized Possession of a loaded handgun x2
• Possession of a handgun contrary to court order x2
The manufacturing of firearms without the appropriate business licence is illegal. Importation and possession of firearm silencers, including those marketed as ‘solvent traps’, is illegal.
If you have information on the whereabouts of Trent Swanson, please call The Pas RCMP at 204-627-6204 or call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477, or secure tip online at www.manitobacrimestoppers.com