Inspecting your block heater cord could potentially save your vehicle from a fire.
Manitoba Public Insurance is encouraging all vehicle owners to check their cords following several fires that have been linked to block heaters.
A cracked extension cord, or block heater cord with a corroded plug, can result in what’s called electrical arcing, which can quickly spark a fire.
MPI says that extension cords that are cracked or have exposed wires should be replaced as soon as possible as corrosion can be caused by exposure to moisture, dirt and road salts.
The crown corporation also suggests that you have your block heater cord inspected each fall by a qualified mechanic.